I've been asked for info - -

Thoughts on the Forum(s), Bugs, Suggestions - - and maybe 42?
Mel
Mercury

I've been asked for info - -

Postby Mel » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:05 am

- - about the "wavy lines" that are on some TIMEX water resistant watches. These are on the dials and the backs. The question is when did these first appear? I'm on holiday/vacation in Spain, so can't look up my files but I'm not sure if I even have this info at all. :roll:

The enquiry is from a well respected watch historian/researcher who wonders if it can be used as a quick date marker when glancing at watches that have it - - such as, if it only appears from 1987 onwards, then a watch with it must of course be after 1987? :)

Open to the team for opinion and discussion - - 8-)
e~gards

Mel Image

The TIMEX WATCH FORUM

My other Hobby, Profession and Passion - Ballroom, Latin and Sequence Dancing
Mel and Ella's Dance Website

Tony
Marlin

Re: I've been asked for info - -

Postby Tony » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:38 pm

And just who is this historian? Perhaps we can see some of theire work?

answer to the question is I believe "1983" with the introduction of the Camper. This is civilian version of the military watch Timex worked on but never went full production. They are still made today but now have a quartz movement instead of the 109 mechanical.

Mel
Mercury

Postby Mel » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:56 am

To see Honor's work, go to The Watch Forum at

http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk

and look on there for "Honour's Topics (Always watching)" pages, loads of reviews, history, pictures and research on lesser known watch brands. Thanks for a date Tony, I was guessing it was a tad later than 83 - - so any other offers? Can we narrow this down any more then? ;)
e~gards

Mel Image

The TIMEX WATCH FORUM

Tony
Marlin

Postby Tony » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:12 pm

So not 1983?

perhaps have a look at this link - http://www.christophlorenz.de/watch/tim ... x.php?l=en
run a find 1983

Tony
Marlin

not 1987

Postby Tony » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:39 pm

Dear Sir Mel of Timexicana:

Upon further investigation, it does appear I may have recalled the year incorrectly as 1983 when the wavy lines first appeared on Timex product.

It seems I've found one example from 1982 with the wavy icon on the dial. Which naturally leads to the question of when did the icon start to appear on the case back?

Well, in the second pic are two case backs. One has 04 - May 1985 the other (with icon) 45 - Sept 1988. As you I'm sure are aware the date code on the case back did not begin until 1985. This leads to the thought that the wavy icon was not etched into the case until sometime after 1985 and perhaps before 1988. Thus, the estimation of 1987 may have some degree of merit when referencing the icon appearing on the case back.

BUT - the wavy icon did appear on the dial from at least 1982. It is alos import to point out that the dial code printing continued even after the date code was etched into the case back.

I await your thoughts and comments.

Most Graciously,

Tony Timex :)

DSC06431.JPG
DSC06431.JPG (93.39 KiB) Viewed 112 times

DSC06429.JPG
DSC06429.JPG (186.22 KiB) Viewed 112 times

Tony
Marlin

Postby Tony » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:07 pm

so no reply to the information I provided?

Mel
Mercury

Postby Mel » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:02 pm

Sorry Tony, I've been incommunicado for a couple of days travelling - - not all of Spain has good WIFI in smaller hotels. :)

I will be back in the UK by about Thursday, we sail from Santander tomorrow (Monday) on the 24 hrs at sea Ferry Crossing from Santander to Portsmouth so will follow up on your info with Honor and we'll see what we can come up with from that ;)

Take care all, keep them Ticka's Tickin' :idea:
e~gards

Mel Image

The TIMEX WATCH FORUM

Tony
Marlin

Postby Tony » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:17 pm

Mel wrote:Sorry Tony, I've been incommunicado for a couple of days travelling - - not all of Spain has good WIFI in smaller hotels. :)

I will be back in the UK by about Thursday, we sail from Santander tomorrow (Monday) on the 24 hrs at sea Ferry Crossing from Santander to Portsmouth so will follow up on your info with Honor and we'll see what we can come up with from that ;)

Take care all, keep them Ticka's Tickin' :idea:

ah Sir Mel is a worldly travel it seems. Bon Voyage, raise the sails and head thata way!

Return to “Mel's Meanderings”