Crystal removal tool

Does just what it says on the tin, the place to ask for advice and help, but remember this is an enthiusiast group, not an officia TIMEXl or Professional watchmaker resource, any advice you take is entirely at your own risk!
Timexguy74
Viscount

Crystal removal tool

Postby Timexguy74 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:37 am

We're can I find a good crystal removal tool that isn't too expensive I would like to do a dial swap thanks.

Tony
Viscount

Re: Crystal removal tool

Postby Tony » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:18 pm

Buy what you can afford but beware of cheap watch tools. They will slip and or leave marks, most especially crystal lifts.
Look for "watch makers estate" posting for a better chance to get true professional tools.

Patience is a virtue rings true when it come to watch repair. :D

Timexguy74
Viscount

Postby Timexguy74 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:45 am

Tony wrote:Buy what you can afford but beware of cheap watch tools. They will slip and or leave marks, most especially crystal lifts.
Look for "watch makers estate" posting for a better chance to get true professional tools.

Patience is a virtue rings true when it come to watch repair. :D

Cool Tony I'll have a look it's a my Dynabeat and I think it's easier to come from the front some of those electrics are a pain to take out movement.

Mel
Mercury

Postby Mel » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:50 pm

I'd go with the advice from Tony - - buy cheap, buy often - - always buy the best tools you can find or afford. A proper crystal lift is the type with many slightly springy "fingers" that catch round the edge of the crystal and with any luck if you line up correctly, tighten gently till you feel resistance and then just a wee tad more - - experience will tell you when, and the crystal will just lift out. :o

Refit is the reverse, compress the crystal very, very slightly, place in position then gently release the tension and the crystal will seat nicely into place. :)

And yes, Electric backset watches (TIMEX, SAGA, KELTON) come out through the front of the watch, the backs are fixed in place. while Dynabeats need you take out the stem/crown assembly in most cases :!:
e~gards

Mel Image

The TIMEX WATCH FORUM

My other Hobby, Profession and Passion - Ballroom, Latin and Sequence Dancing
Mel and Ella's Dance Website

timexicain
Sprite

Postby timexicain » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:48 pm

Mel wrote:And yes, Electric backset watches (TIMEX, SAGA, KELTON) come out through the front of the watch, the backs are fixed in place. while Dynabeats need you take out the stem/crown assembly in most cases :!:

I have a Timex Dynabeat Electric. If my memory is good, I already posted a picture from my own ..mine has a ' snap ' back but the crystal needs to be removed through the front ... Same thing for my other Electrical Timex, not dynabeat but has a flying saucer shape probably in the late 60's or early 70's . Both are in a working condition but nedd a good cleanup . :D
If you always ask your neighbor's time, it's time to buy a Timex watch .
and my french old and antique tv forum
http://tvancienneetmoderne.forumactif.com/

Timexguy74
Viscount

Postby Timexguy74 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:06 pm

Thank you Mel also I have my eye on a lift.

trice001
Monroe

Postby trice001 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:45 am

thanks

RonD
Dorado

Postby RonD » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:48 am

Maybe a little late responding to this one but I also noticed that sometimes the new ones are too stiff. I got one and it was so hard to use that I sent it back and eventually bought a used one on Ebay that was "broken in". No problems tightening it up against a crystal.

I also got a crystal press. That tool is great for putting a crystal back into a case (as long as it's not a one piece case), as well as snapping a back on a case. I use that one practically every day.

Ron

Timexguy74
Viscount

Postby Timexguy74 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:43 am

RonD wrote:Maybe a little late responding to this one but I also noticed that sometimes the new ones are too stiff. I got one and it was so hard to use that I sent it back and eventually bought a used one on Ebay that was "broken in". No problems tightening it up against a crystal.

I also got a crystal press. That tool is great for putting a crystal back into a case (as long as it's not a one piece case), as well as snapping a back on a case. I use that one practically every day.

Ron

Yes the one I got on eBay works pretty good but I didn't buy a Chinese special one so that helps lol.

Return to “Technical Topics”