DIY Cleaning Solution

Does just what it says on the tin, the place to ask for advice and help, but remember this is an enthiusiast group, not an officia TIMEXl or Professional watchmaker resource, any advice you take is entirely at your own risk!
vintagetimex
Dorado 18K

DIY Cleaning Solution

Postby vintagetimex » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:42 pm

This post transferred from older TWF as being of interest to members

JerseyMo asked:-

Yes believe it or not I know TG is the one who can advise on this.

I came across a post which is attempting to create a home grown watch cleaning solution.

here is the quote -

What 'I'm' thinking of doing unless I can find a pint of the factory packaged solutions.

#1 jar solution

CAS# 8052-41-3 65% (Stoddard solvent)
CAS# 8052-41-3 25% (Napthia)
CAS# 112-80-1 5% (Oliec acid)
CAS# 141-43-5 5% (Ethanolamine) (Ammonia replacement)

#2 and #3 jar's solution.

CAS# 8052-41-3 75% (Stoddard solvent)
CAS# 8052-41-3 25% (Napthia)

and then TechnoGuy replied as follows

I assme that the "question" you have for me is what I think of the poster's homemade "brew" of cleaning solvents.

The answer is "not much". Stoddard solvent or "mineral spirits" is a mixture of numerous hydrocarbons derived by refining crude oil.

It is a petroleum distillate and both flammable and toxic. I much prefer and recommend using simple detergent solutions which are just as effective and do not pose a fire or health risk.

One can mix two tablespoons of a harsh shampoo (the kind intended for people with oily scalps and available at any supermarket) in a cup of warm water and get equally good cleaning action on a movement. If the movement is allowed to sit in the solution for 15 minutes, it will remove any hardened, rancid lube deposits in the bearings.

technoguy

JerseyMo expanded the original question to say

The origins of the query is a more economical alternative to professional cleaners used in the classic three stage L&R. As this alternate brew would be used by an amateur performing a hand full of cleaners a years. Where the professional products are sold by the gallon and used for many more cleanings.

Thanks

JM

Now, I've a question for Technoguy first - - would this be viable in one of the cheap ultrasonic cleaners? I've used washing up liquid with some success, but only on lightly soiled items?

And for JerseyMo - -what's three stage L&R?, remember we have folks here who speaketh solely Ye Queen's English Alas and Alack, zounds and forsooth

Mel

(Entries edited slighty to fit newer format and my typos) :)

Dadistic
Viscount

Re: DIY Cleaning Solution

Postby Dadistic » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:03 pm

A simple solution that I've used in my little ultrasonic cleaner is water, a few drops of dishwashing detergent (Dawn), and a couple tablespoons of full strength ammonia. This has proven effective for nasty cases and expansion bracelets. Rinse in plain water, and carefully dry to prevent rust.

For movement cleaning, I put naptha in a small beaker, some water in the ultrasonic, and then put the beaker in the ultrasonic. I have a beaker for the first wash with used naptha, and a second beaker of new naptha for the second wash. I then use anhydrous (no water, pure) isopropyl alcohol in a beaker as the rinse step.

WARNING - do not put parts in the alcohol that are glued or shellacked, such as pallet forks, as the alcohol may dissolve the shellac. Also, since alcohol evaporates so fast, it can cool your parts and cause condensation to form, so I leave my parts in little mesh baskets and heat them with a hair dryer, much as what would happen in a watch cleaning machine.
I keep hearing the song "No Time Left For You" by the Guess Who playing in my head, but somehow the words become "No Timex Left For You"

Mel
Mercury

Postby Mel » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:10 pm

Didastic, sounds pretty good to me - - I'm all for both sensible and cost effective methods suitable for "Home Brewers" to use. :D

Mind you, the kick off a bottle of ammonia can be a head clearer, that's for sure. :shock: Once I'm done with moving the forum and other websites, I'm giving that one a try! :geek:
e~gards

Mel Image

The TIMEX WATCH FORUM

My other Hobby, Profession and Passion - Ballroom, Latin and Sequence Dancing
Mel and Ella's Dance Website

Tony
Marlin

Postby Tony » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:11 pm

Isn't the idea of using a petroleum based liquid to leave a coating that acts as a lubricant? So why rinse the naphtha with alcohol?

Dadistic
Viscount

Postby Dadistic » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:14 pm

Tony wrote:Isn't the idea of using a petroleum based liquid to leave a coating that acts as a lubricant? So why rinse the naphtha with alcohol?

No, naptha won't act as a lubricant, but some impurities may be left behind when it evaporates. Lubricant shouldn't be everywhere, anyway, just on pivots etc. For instance, if there is lube on the hairspring, it could cause the coils to stick together and screw up the timing nicely. Watch movements should be clean,clean, clean, with just the tiniest bit of oil on bearing surfaces.

Tech sheets, even the Timex ones, often include instructions on where oil should be placed.

Cheers!
I keep hearing the song "No Time Left For You" by the Guess Who playing in my head, but somehow the words become "No Timex Left For You"

Tony
Marlin

Postby Tony » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:36 am

TG \ JerseyMo, how have you found this solution to work out? Or have you not actually tried to mix it up?

Tony
Marlin

Postby Tony » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:05 pm

no rely so I guess these members are no longer around.

Dadistic
Viscount

Postby Dadistic » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:21 pm

Well, JerseyMo is still active with his Timex collecting I believe, but I'm not sure he made it over to this forum yet. His ebay store has activity, and I've seen him post a couple of times in another forum. Don't know why he's not here.

Since Mel is the moderator, if for some reason he's not approving posts from new members, there may be people who've signed up recently who can't post yet.

Cheers!

David

Tony
Marlin

Postby Tony » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:55 am

muchas gracias

, I will await a reply from señor Mel

Return to “Technical Topics”