400 stem

Does just what it says on the tin, the place to ask for advice and help, but remember this is an enthiusiast group, not an officia TIMEXl or Professional watchmaker resource, any advice you take is entirely at your own risk!
Dch48
Sprite

400 stem

Postby Dch48 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:22 pm

I acquired a nice Timex 400 with the Seiko movement. It runs great and keeps very good time. I just have one problem with it. It is hard to wind and it appears to be because the crown is too small. It doesn't look original to me. I took the stem out and tried to get the crown off to replace it with a larger Timex crown I have but I couldn't get it off. Would anyone have an extra 400 stem and crown that would work? The crown on it now only measures 4.5 mm and the recess in the case is a bit larger at 5.5 mm.

The case is 33 mm without the crown.

Tony
Marlin

Re: 400 stem

Postby Tony » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:22 am

One of the differences between the hatori and laco 400 is the stem crown. The hatroi was like the Timex in that the crown is press fit to the stem.
so what to do when the crown is worn thin? What I've done is remove the crown and with the use of a mirco tap and die set, refit a generic crown.

This is a delicate operation and care need to be taken when removing the old crown. So you may want to try on some old timex stem crowns to get the feel of how to go about it.

good luck

Mel
Mercury

Postby Mel » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:28 pm

Tony wrote:So what to do when the crown is worn thin? What I've done is remove the crown and with the use of a mirco tap and die set, refit a generic crown.

This is a delicate operation and care need to be taken when removing the old crown. So you may want to try on some old timex stem crowns to get the feel of how to go about it.

good luck

I'm not sure if you could source Hattori parts anywhere - - which would obviously be the easy option if you can find them. I have heard SEIKO are reasonable to deal with, but as far back as Hattori would be a question! 8-)

Tony's option is one that might be explored, but is tricky and delicate - - I know I couldn't tackle it with my eyesight even with the cataracts fixed and settling down.

The impossible can be done today - - Miracles take a little longer :lol:
e~gards

Mel Image

The TIMEX WATCH FORUM

My other Hobby, Profession and Passion - Ballroom, Latin and Sequence Dancing
Mel and Ella's Dance Website

Dch48
Sprite

Postby Dch48 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:17 am

I can't get the crown off. I don't have the tools mentioned and don't intend to get them. what I need is a complete stem and crown assembly for a Timex 400 with the Hattori movement.

Tony
Marlin

Postby Tony » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:18 am

do I or do I not try to make repairs?
I say take the leap and you might just be surprised.

Mel
Mercury

Postby Mel » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:46 pm

Dch48 wrote:I can't get the crown off. I don't have the tools mentioned and don't intend to get them. what I need is a complete stem and crown assembly for a Timex 400 with the Hattori movement.

You may find the best option is to search on the bay of evil for a non worker but where the stem looks good, but hard from a photo, I would agree. :geek:

I now have seven Monroe models as I am searching for an original UK stretchy band in GOOD condition - - ONE DAY :lol:
e~gards

Mel Image

The TIMEX WATCH FORUM

Tony
Marlin

Postby Tony » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:01 pm

Mel wrote:You may find the best option is to search on the bay of evil for a non worker but where the stem looks good, but hard from a photo, I would agree. :geek:

I now have seven Monroe models as I am searching for an original UK stretchy band in GOOD condition - - ONE DAY :lol:

the problem with this approach is not so much that the photos maybe poor. the issue is that even if you find a non runner you may indeed want to get it running. so you end up with two projects.

Here is another suggestion based on my experience.... just fasten "cap crown" over the existing one.

Mel
Mercury

Postby Mel » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:43 am

Tony, I've heard of a "cap crown" never seen one tho'! :?

I take it this is a crown that you fit OVER the existing one using epoxy or something, mayabe even a press fit? :idea:
e~gards

Mel Image

The TIMEX WATCH FORUM

Dch48
Sprite

Postby Dch48 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:53 pm

Yes,what is a cap crown?

Tony
Marlin

Postby Tony » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:31 pm

well I just made up the term. BTW: I am seeking to copyright it...

but as Mel guest it is no more than something to fit over the existing crown. I have seen all sorts of creative and some not so creative caps used.

Hex cap nuts, other crowns that have the thread tube remove are some thing you may want to consider. Again this is just a suggestion\option.

My self I would refit a threaded crown. Which is exactly what I have going on right now on my work bench.

Return to “Technical Topics”